Monday, April 26, 2010

The First Month

The first month was really a whirlwind. We pretty much spent all our time getting to know the newest Cruikshank. Greg took about a week and a half off from work to be home with me and Vivi. I was ordered by my midwives to stay home for the first 2 weeks and rest so we didn't leave the house except to go to Vivian's first pediatric check up. Most days we just rested, ate and slept. Here are some of the highlights.
Vivian was a good sleeper right from the get go. She usually gave us 3-4 hours at a time during the night and took nice long naps during the day. Usually we had to restrain ourselves from waking her up just to snuggle! Only crazy new parents would even consider waking a sleeping baby!
Vivian hated to be cold so most diaper changes caused screaming and crying. We thought even her cries were adorable. Greg did most of the diapering. He was a diaper champ!
I had real trouble with breastfeeding due to issues with inverted nipples. I didn't get good advice in the hospital so by day 4 or 5 I was in excruciating pain and had to turn to a lactation consultant for help. I wish I had done that sooner. She gave us some good advice and after following her directions and buying some nipple shields I was able to start healing. I thought about giving up several times but everyone kept saying that it takes 6 weeks to get into the breastfeeding groove so I just told myself that I would do it for 6 weeks and then I could quit and just pump and bottle feed. Well at 6 weeks we were breastfeeding champs! I couldn't believe it. My advice to any woman with unusual anatomy is to talk to a lactation consultant BEFORE they have a baby and then again immediately after. It would have saved me a lot of pain, tears and frustration.
Grandma Howard came to stay with us for a week to help out and meet her new Granddaughter. They were very cute together. It was great to have her here so Greg could go back to work.
I healed pretty quickly and had no complications. It is amazing how quickly the human body responds after giving birth. Just goes to show it is a normal healthy process.
I LOVED being able to bend over and sleep on my tummy again. I remember my first shower after being home and I could bend in half and easily wash my legs and feet. Such a cool feeling that I had missed. I also remember the first time I was laying in bed and Vivian was next to me so I couldn't roll over but I was tired of laying on my right side. All of a sudden it dawned on me that I could just lay on my back! I hadn't been able to do that for over 7 months. So great.
Vivian had her first real bath once her bellybutton stump fell off. She wasn't sure what to think of it at first but loosened up after a while. It of course ended in tears. Not because she didn't want to get out but because it made her cold!
Lots of other firsts. First time going to church. First walk in the neighborhood. First shopping trip with Mommy. Etc.
One confession I have to make is that I was wrong. Everyone says having a newborn is a lot of work. I thought that since I had lots of experience with babies, loved babies, and was pretty organized it wouldn't be so hard for ME. Man was that arrogant and wrong! It is a lot of work having a baby. I didn't take into account how physically tired I would start out from the delivery. I spent weeks just trying to catch-up! I also didn't think I would need much help and I was wrong again. Having Greg there and then my mom was vital. Our neighbors brought us meals for the first 2 weeks and that was such a huge help. Most days I could only manage to do one or two things and one of those was to get dressed or take a shower so knowing dinner was coming meant I could take a much needed nap.
People sent us so many lovely gifts and notes. It was so sweet! I am sure I am forgetting some important events and memories. Time moved so fast and then at times so slow. We tried to be good picture takers and I tried to take notes on the things that have happened so we can always remember. It is amazing how quickly you forget. I remember thinking I couldn't imagine ever doing this again. I couldn't believe people had more than one baby! And now as I type this over 2 months after Vivi was born I hardly remember how tough those first days and weeks were and instead I miss them and teeny tiny Vivi. I think we are designed to forget the hard stuff so that we have the courage to do it all again!

3 comments:

Diane Howard said...

Oh, so precious! I LOVED being there to help out and want to come back!!! God is so gracious, I agree. Love you ALL!

Sandy said...

Sweet baby! Glad to hear you are adjusting as a family.

peh said...

What a cutie! So glad to see an update and that everyone is doing well! You and Greg make cute babies! (hint hint) :-)