We received this goldfish hat as a hand-me-down last winter. It was way too big so we stuck it away in a drawer and forgot about it. A week ago I was looking for Vivi's winter hats and rediscovered the fish hat. Greg has always thought it was a laugh riot and after sticking it on her head again commented it was practically a Halloween costume in and of itself. We just needed a shirt with some waves on it. I immediately thought, "why not a wave dress!". And our little babe was transformed into a goldfish for Halloween.

I used a dress that we already had (and that fit well) as a pattern. I cut both sides out of linen and then cut waves out of cheap felt from Michael's. After piecing it together I stitched down each wave along the bottom using my sewing machine. The next wave down hid the stitches. I added a few seaweed pieces to the bottom and used fabric tack to stick down some of the wave peaks to keep them from folding over or showing too much of the linen. Once that was done I surges around the entire piece to keep it from unraveling and then stitch the front and back together. I was going to stop there but just couldn't leave the edges unfinished so I turned them all and stitched them down. A couple pieces of velcro and it was done. This is not really the most sturdy dress but I figured she would only wear it an hour or so. If she were older and into dress-ups I would have made it more usable since Halloween costumes were a huge source of dress-up material when I was growing up. I loved that.

Here she is in her little costume. White tights, shoes and onsie provided a nice backdrop. You can't tell from the photos but the hat had a fish tail sticking out the back. 
Now we didn't really "celebrate" Halloween in the traditional sense. We went over to some friend's house for a little get together and Vivi wore her "costume". It was fun and she sure was cute. 

2 comments:
Seriously, you are so flipping creative - I love it! This is such a cute idea and turned out so well!! Also, she's adorable.
SO-O-O-O-O-O CUTE!! So adorably sweet, too. I bet she was a hit! We only had to open the door 4 times Halloween night. Really low turn out, Dad has a mountain of Necco's and licorice to eat, now.
Thank you for posting, I've missed you.
Post a Comment