Friday, August 25, 2006

Garden Update

When we had the heat wave her in NYC a few weeks ago we lost a great deal of our garden. Several days over 100 degrees was just too much for some things to take, even with lots of watering. We lost most of our cucumbers, watermelon, bowl gourd, zucchini (though it was almost dead from pests), pumpkin, and and some other vines. Not much is left.
One thing that did make it was a warted gourd that Greg planted. This morning I came down to these giant blooms. It has just rained and they looked so fresh and pretty. Unfortunately we can't eat warted guards but they make pretty decorations at Halloween.

Another thing that not only withstood the heat but is doing great are the tomatoes. Greg is delighted. I don't really like raw tomatoes but I planted Romas this year in hopes of making some sauce with them (I love cooked tomatoes!). These beauties came off the vine this morning and are coming camping with me. Don't tell them we are eating them on our tacos!

Lastly are the yellow squash or summer squash. This one ended up getting a little too big and may not steam up as nice as a small one would. So far this is the only fruit from this vine but it has a few blooms and may produce something else.

The morning glory was blooming this morning too. Unfortunately its beauty is tainted by the fact that it is such a nasty weed. We also have lots of big carrots and beets which I will photograph soon when we pull them up and eat them.

Have a great weekend!

0 comments: