It seemed like our furniture and decor fit perfectly into our old space. When we moved all that stuff to our new apartment it just didn't fit as well and it seems that every room needs a large amount of tweaking which can be overwhelming. I know that it takes time to find new things, rearrange the old things, and pull a room together. It took me 4 years to get our Bronx apartment the way I liked it. Well, yesterday I took the day off of work on a whim and spent the day putting together the new furniture in the office and made a trip to Target for some cleaning supplies. I also managed to find the remaining things I needed to "finish" the bathrooms. I picked the 2 smallest rooms to pull together first. It gives me a sense of accomplishment in a manageable chunk. First the upstairs.
This is our main bathroom and it is SMALL. I hunted all over town to find towels in a brown/grey color to match the tile detail on the wall and I happened to stumble upon some new towels at Target that were perfect. I also settled for an all white shower curtain after searching for a printed or brown/grey one for a long time. The plain white really makes the room seem larger and gives it a clean crisp feel. We also added the little stick-on-the-wall toothbrush holder in brushed silver which I love. I would still like to find one decorative item for this room but it has to small since anything too busy makes this room look like the postage stamp that it is. I also need to find a better solution for the toilet paper. The owners put in this toilet paper stand but it is way to big for the room. There just isn't much room for a roll to hang on the cabinet. Then the downstairs:
Remember that this room is as wide as the vanity you see on the left! Tiny! I hate the wall color but everyone who comes in to see the place thinks it is great so it is staying for a while. I had these fake orchids in my old place by the fireplace. I separated them and re-potted them in these cute white IKEA utensil holders. The leaves inspired me to go with a dark green accent. I bought the towels and a tiny rug at Target yesterday. I hung the print and the little shelf on the back wall above the toilet and added the fake grass (all items from the old place) and some black stones for detail. I LOVE this room now. My only problem is finding a garbage can that will fit next to the toilet. There is only about 5" of space between the toilet and wall so it has been really challenging to find a small enough container.
This is our main bathroom and it is SMALL. I hunted all over town to find towels in a brown/grey color to match the tile detail on the wall and I happened to stumble upon some new towels at Target that were perfect. I also settled for an all white shower curtain after searching for a printed or brown/grey one for a long time. The plain white really makes the room seem larger and gives it a clean crisp feel. We also added the little stick-on-the-wall toothbrush holder in brushed silver which I love. I would still like to find one decorative item for this room but it has to small since anything too busy makes this room look like the postage stamp that it is. I also need to find a better solution for the toilet paper. The owners put in this toilet paper stand but it is way to big for the room. There just isn't much room for a roll to hang on the cabinet. Then the downstairs:
Remember that this room is as wide as the vanity you see on the left! Tiny! I hate the wall color but everyone who comes in to see the place thinks it is great so it is staying for a while. I had these fake orchids in my old place by the fireplace. I separated them and re-potted them in these cute white IKEA utensil holders. The leaves inspired me to go with a dark green accent. I bought the towels and a tiny rug at Target yesterday. I hung the print and the little shelf on the back wall above the toilet and added the fake grass (all items from the old place) and some black stones for detail. I LOVE this room now. My only problem is finding a garbage can that will fit next to the toilet. There is only about 5" of space between the toilet and wall so it has been really challenging to find a small enough container.Greg helped me finish putting together my scrapbook table last night. I LOVE IT!!!! I took a que from my sister and made it waste height while standing. I am going to get a stool for when I want to sit down (it was sold out at IKEA of course!). I am determined to become a standing scrapper. It will make retreiving stuff from my shelves easier since they won't be right behind me anymore. The table is 63" wide and 31" deep. I spread a bunch of stuff out on it last night and can I just say wow! It is so nice to have room to spread out. I put my old cutting mat on the table which used to FILL my old little table in the hall. It looks like a tiny place mat on the new table! I will definitely need a new cutting mat. Here it is from last night. I was pulling out some new supplies I had gotten in the mail during the move. Last night was my first chance to really look at them in over a month. Now I just need to organize organize organize.
Something we did before buying our table which I would recommend is to cut out a piece of paper the size of the table (you can see mine underneath) and lay it out on the floor to see what it will be like spacially. Originally I was going to get a smaller table (it looked so big at the store!) but when I laid it out I realized I had room for a larger table and the small one wasn't much bigger than what I had before. It was a big help.
3 comments:
LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the bathrooms. The dark green is a lovely choice in the downstairs bathroom. The picture over the toilet is just perfect! It is coming together so nicely. We'll NEVER get you out of New York!
For a while the blog site automatically knew I was Diane and preprinted my comments that way. Now it's back to the old way. Should I sign up on the google bubble? I don't think I have a google account. Or do I?
I JUST bought that exact IKEA desk for my scrapbook stuff yesterday!! Great minds think alike, I guess. Everything looks cute as usual.
Post a Comment