
Last Friday in addition to Good Friday activities at church in the evening I had to throw together a going away party for a co-worker. A co-worker (graduate student who finally graduated with his PhD after 7 years) who's only request was "I want pizza, nachos, and rum". Hmmm. That is not a lot to work with. I made my famous nacho dip (Velveeta, Chili, and salsa heated in a crock pot till bubbly, then poured over chips) and we ordered pizza. Someone else bought the rum and I worked on some easy and cheap decorations. I went with a new favorite technique, which is to take a photo of the person, open it in Photoshop and crop out everything but their head. I usually print it out a bunch of times, cut the heads out and put them on balloons or hang them around the room with signes. We did that too but I got an idea for easy cupcake toppers that are cute and impressive looking.

Photo shop the head and resize to about an inch high. I put multiple heads on the page so I could print all 20 at once. Print them out and then punch them out of the paper with a 1.25" paper punch.

Next gather some other simple supplies. I punched out some large ovals with a new punch my mom sent, along with some stars, grabbed my glue gun and picked up some party toothpicks at the store.

The toothpicks are bigger so you can use them on larger foods and they work well for this project.

Put a dab of hot glue on the oval.

Add the toothpick and a bit more glue (the large size of the pick is good for gluing).

Add one of the punched heads to the top of the stick. This not only hides the end of the pick it also gives the face a little dimension you wouldn't get it you glued the stick to the pack of the oval.

Lastly apply a little glue to the back of the stars and attach to the oval.

Repeat 19 times!

Add picks to store bought cupcakes for a little personalized pizzazz! Unfortunately the cupcakes at the store were easter colors so they clashed with my toppers which would have looked dynamite on white and brown cupcakes but whatever. Can't get too picky when you have no time to bake something perfectly color coordinated. These were a big hit. I had to leave the party really early to get to church in time but I heard the party was a success and today some people found little heads at their desks with post-it note voice balloons added containing little messages to them. I thought that was hilarious.
1 comments:
Super FUN.
Post a Comment