Sunday, December 12, 2010

Table runner redo

Another item I found in the office was our holiday table runner. I used to put it on our dinning room cabinets. Recently we got a new cabinet system for our dining room that would offer much more storage space. However, it has a smaller surface area and due to the unique shape, a table runner would not be able to hang over the edges. So the runner got tossed into the office for alterations.

I measured the length of the cabinet at 71 inches. I marked that spot on the runner and then gave myself about an inch to work with before I cut. I now had a long and short piece. I practiced my technique on the short piece first (good tip!). Turned out the runner was made from 2 different colors of red velvet. I had never noticed this before but it was going to make the alteration much easier. I used a stitch ripper to pull the 2 pieces apart for about 2-3 inches. Then I worked to make mitered corners on the bottom piece. Pinning it to the ironing board as I worked really helped to keep everything in place. Once I was happy with the shape of the bottom half, I trimmed, folded over the top piece of velvet and pinned everything into place. Stitched it all together on the sewing machine and it was done. My end was pretty bulky compared to the manufactured side but I don't think anyone will notice. I never really learned how to do proper mitered corners. Someday I will have to look for a tutorial on that.

It turned out really nicely and makes a nice spot for our nativity to stand.

For the daily Vivi, here is a shot from this morning at breakfast time. She was very pleased that she could feed herself yogurt! The trick to getting a kid who can't use a spoon but is totally into self feeding to eat a liquid is to put it in a cup and let her drink it (another tip is to use a dipper to eat the liquid). Despite the photo she actually ate a lot and isn't just wearing it all!



3 comments:

Diane Howard said...

Very nicely done. The arrangements look great there. Wish I could see it all in person.

Diane Howard said...

These food pictures are cracking me up. Email them to me so I can print them up!

Greg said...

funny thing is I end up learning more about this project while I'm up in MA than I did when I was in town while you were working on it
love you babe