I will post pictures from last weekends party tomorrow. I thought I had moved the photos onto my computer but apparently they are still on the memory stick which I left at home this morning.Today we are going to talk about vegetables! In an effort to eat better (yes, even vegans can consume only junk food!) I signed us up for Urban Organics. It is a home delivery service that brings farm fresh organic produce right to your doorstep. We get a delivery every Thursday and the photo shows what was in the box last Thursday:
Lettuce, Spinach, Red Chard, Broccoli, Potatoes, Spaghetti Squash, Carrots, Zucchini, Onions, 2 kinds of Apples, Oranges, Plums, Bananas, and Kiwis (a surprise not on the posted list!). This seems like a lot of fruits and vegetables for 2 people to eat in a week but if we were actually eating 5 fruits and veggies a day like we are supposed to than it shouldn't be a problem right. So that has been the challenge, to eat all this yummy produce (and it really is good quality) in 7 days. I especially love the challenge to eat all the greens since I am so bad about eating greens and they are so good for the body. We have only been doing this for 3 weeks but we are slowly improving and have to toss less and less unused produce each week (usually the lettuce because I hate salads in the winter).
This week we are getting pretty much the same spread but cauliflower instead of broccoli, a different squash, garlic and some green beans. So I planned to make the following this week:
Potato burritos-These are one of Greg's favorite things. They remind him of Casa Que Pasa in Bellingham. Will use lettuce and potatoes.
Spinach Tofu Quiche - Greg HATES eggs with a passion but will eat a tofu Quiche. Will use onions, garlic, and all the spinach
Chickpea and Chard Cassolet-Will use all the chard from last week and the chard coming this week.
Squash stuffed with sausage rosemary stuffing and green beans-Will use up a squash (we actually have 2 already so I may also make soup out of one!) and the green beans.
The rest we eat during the week at other meals. Most of the recipes above came from www.vegweb.com where you can search by ingredient. Alice also tipped me to www.epicurious.com which allows for the same thing but doesn't specialize in vegetarian foods like the other one does.
Mom-I need your applesauce recipe. I want to try it out with all my apples.
Kate-I need your Brussels sprout recipe. You promised it would make me love Brussels! We'll see!
1 comments:
Yummy veggies...so cool to be getting special delivery and seeing the surprise! love brussel sprouts? is that an oxymoron? :)
Post a Comment