Monday, June 25, 2007

Best Birthday Ever

We didn't look at a single apartment last weekend (not much on the market). Instead we focussed on cleaning out our current apartment. We are only about 50% done but it felt so good to toss stuff. We worked systematically through each room, each cabinet, each shelf and evaluated every item together. Did we use it, did we love it, did we need it, did we have more than one. We both encouraged the other to really be honest about what should stay and what should go. We tried on every article of clothing we owned. Here is an example:Two dresses I have been holding on to for years. Why? I don't know. I never intended to wear them again. So instead I tried them on for kicks and then tossed them in a bag. One of the best parts of the decluttering weekend was remembering the stories behind some of the stuff. That is why we keep the stuff, to remind us of things. Well, take a picture and write down the story! The black dress was purchased for a New Year's Party organized and heavily attended by the BSF Young Adults class in Seattle. My best friend Katie and I went. I was having a really hard time finding a formal dress. Katie and I tried on this same black dress (she found it first and she looked great in it!) and she wanted to get it but I liked it too and I wasn't having any luck so she let me get the dress. Such a good friend! I loved that dress that night! The other dress was the Maid of Honor dress I wore to Katie's wedding, and I felt gorgeous in it that day. Both were way too small for me now! Now hopefully they aren't too out of style to bless someone else.
Here are just some of the bags of stuff we decided to get rid of. The whole area under the table was full and a lot had already been taken downstairs. Some garbage, some recycling and lots to take to the GoodWill. I wish I had taken some before and after shots, especially of the desk. Yikes that was crammed full of junk and now looks so neat and tidy. Now we need to tackle the kitchen, Hall Closet, craft and music areas! Is it weird that I thought this was the most fun way to spend a weekend?

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

That black dress looked fabulous on you. That was a fun memory- I don't know about the party, but we both looked really cute that night:)