Wednesday, June 06, 2007

I can't believe...

...it has been a week since I blogged last. I have been having really bad allergies and migraines lately so it seems when I have some free time I feel too lousy to post. Here are some updates:

  • We are working on our housing issue. In fact Greg and I have an appointment to look at a place in Astoria tonight. It sounds promising but I have learned never to get my hopes up when it comes to NYC real estate.

  • I am 95% done with the gift album for my co-worker and will try to photograph it this week. Otherwise I have done no scrapbooking in almost 2 weeks.
Last weekend Greg and I spent some quality time together. On Saturday we ventured over to Connecticut to visit the Barnum Museum. It explores the life of P.T. Barnum (from the circus). It was a very small museum but was interesting and fun to check out. I took a whole ton of photos and then noticed on our way out a sign saying "no photography please". Oops! Anyway, here are some shots:
The highlights:
Barnum really came to fame with roaming sideshows and saloon appearances. The museum actually didn't talk that much about the circus which came very late in his life.
Barnum struck it rich promoted a "little person" named Tom Thum and promoting Jenny Lind the famous singer.
The top floor of the museum featured a hand carved scale model of a circus. It filled almost half the floor.
Barnum also claimed to have a mermaid, a mummy, and a 160 year old woman in his company. The woman ended up being only 88 when she died, the mermaid was a monkey body on a fish tail, but the mummy turned out to be authentic. Barnum also featured Siamese twins, bearded ladies, skinny men, and all the other "regular" side show type attractions but Tom Thumb was his most famous.
The photos above from the upper left:
-Greg with Tom Thumb image to show his scale.
-The mummy
-The scale model of the circus from above on a catwalk
-Circus items
-A circus buggy
-An elephant replica (Barnum featured a baby elephant long before he started the circus. He used to use the elephant to plow his fields near the train track so train passengers would want to come and check out his show).
-The Barnum Institute from the outside.
-Greg next to Tom Thumbs carriage.
After the museum we enjoyed a mediocre lunch at Taco Loco. The LOCO thing is that they were voted best Mexican food and best margaritas in town. The people of Fairview need to get a clue!





2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We've missed you! See you @ craft club.

Anonymous said...

FUN, FUN, you two do the neatest stuff. I AM SO EXCITED TO BE COMING FOR MY VISIT!!!!!!! Love you! Mom