Tuesday, February 05, 2008

I am in love!!!

And I mean seriously in love. I may leave my husband in order to marry this thing. I recieved many wonderful gifts for Christmas but this one was the most surprising. I had recently picked up a new vegan cookbook and there was a section on tools for the kitchen. The authors are city cooks who have tiny NYC kitchens and when they suggested an immersion blender I thought, hmm, why not. I have every other appliance known to man and I needed a gift idea to pass on to Greg's mom. I didn't even take it out of the box until late Jan. HOW DID I LIVE SO LONG WITHOUT THIS THING????? It is awesome. I have decided if I don't pull out my regular blender in the next 6 months it is going to Goodwill. This little baby is not only easy to grab and use in a pinch but it is also a breeze to clean! Just whiz it in some soapy water, rinse, and detach the end to dry! No huge glass pitcher to deal with. I have been using it all the time for whipping up marinades, blending drinks (even hot cocoa on the stove to a frothy consistency) and it is great for soups. No more transferring batches of hot soup to my blender and making a HUGE mess. This puppy makes creamy soup right in the pot. But my latest use is the world's fastest smoothies in the morning. I invented a new one (well new to me) this morning that was so great I have been dreaming about it all day. With the stick blender I can make the smoothie and clean up in about 2 minutes. Here is my new favorite smoothie recipe for you to try!

Peanut Butter Dream Smoothie
1 whole banana (fresh or frozen)
1+ cups of soy milk (for desired consistency)
1 spoonful of peanut butter
1 pinch of salt (our PB is the hippy kind with no salt or sugar so a little salt helps bring out the sweetness)
1 drizzle of agave nectar (you could use honey or a spoonful of jam!)

Blend until smooth. Drink and enjoy! It tastes like a PB milkshake but much lower on calories. SO DELICIOUS!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the birthday gift idea for Rachel. Maybe I'll get one for me too, because it must be good if you'd consider leaving Greg for it. Love you more than you love IT!!! Love Mom

Alexis Cruikshank said...

Used it this morning to make peanut sauce for tonight's dinner. Blended up peanut butter, small onion, garlic, cilantro, ginger, and various spices and liquids with no trouble. I blended the big stuff in the cup it came with and then everything else in a secondary container. Worked great!!!