I can't say that I am a big fan of Valentine's Day in the traditional adult sense. I don' t like being told that one day a year I have to express my love for my hubby by purchasing pre-approved items that will cost 4x their normal value. Greg and I don't usually do a whole lot besides maybe cook a nice meal at home or give eachother a card. But I LOVE valentine's day in the child sense. Some of my fondest memories are of valentine's day as a kid. The parties at school, especially when the entire class would make mailboxes for our desks for the big day and we would hand out the little cards in little envelopes (they don't come in envelopes anymore by the way. So sad!) which would have 1 conversation heart candy inside. And at home my mom would give us pink milkshakes for breakfast or leave us a little presents by our beds with a card while we were sleeping and we would wake up to a fun surprise. That is the feeling I tried to recreate
last year at work and decided to do it again. Not only for the fun of it but also to create comraudery in our new lab. So I began planning a few weeks ago. Nothing too fancy, just an hour in the middle of the day for a sweet treat.

I baked my Grandmother's awesome sugar cookies and some little cupcakes from a mix. To save time I used canned frosting (dyed one can pink). Used some old sprinkles I had in the cabinet and these adorable little toothpicks I found at a nearby store.

I bought a whole bunch of kids valentines and asked people to sign them for me.

Suzan made mimosas and we had some candy and fruit thrown in for good measure.

I also made these cute little felt stuffed valentines for the girls on the sewing machine last night. Super easy but really cute.

Everyone had a fun time and got a little break from their work. One girl said it was the best valentine's day she'd had in 15 years. That made my day.

(Miriam modeling a heart. Her baby is due next week!)
I hope your valentine's day is nice in whatever form you choose to celebrate it!
I love all my blog readers!
3 comments:
Looks like it was fun. Wish I was at that party. --
Hope all is well. I miss hanging out with you but I did sit next to your group during Monday night's discussion time.... Maybe soon we'll get to catch up and work on crafts.
Gosh, I don't know where you find the time, Martha Stewart, but I am impressed!
Yum!!!! The pinks and whites look so sweet and delectable. Our staff room was full of Russell Stover chocolates. But, of course, I couldn't have any due to my New Year's resolution (and my bones).
Post a Comment