Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Kale Smoothie?

Well I did it. This morning I washed and chopped up a bunch of kale. As I was drying it and putting it into my big half empty spinach container I was noticing how rough/stiff kale is and I was really doubting it would be good in the smoothie. That didn't stop me from piling it in and whizzing it up.....

It was great! A little less smooth than the spinach smoothie but still tasteless. I used lots of OJ in this one so it was very sweet and fruity tasting. And in case you need reasons to eat more Kale take a look at this powerhouse of a vegetable:

Kale (100 Calories) (3cups)

455 mg Calcium
9.46 g Protein
3.1 mg Iron
59 mg Magnesium
1059 mg Potassium
6.7 g Fiber
47 mcg Folate
.38 mg B2
2.2 mg Niacin
.59 mg Zinc
83 mg Vitamin C
21,159 IU Vitamin A
1 mg Vitamin E
0 g Cholesterol
0 g Saturated Fat
Tons of Phytochemicals and Antioxidants

I had over a cup of kale in my smoothie!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay, I'll try it too.

Tiffani P said...

my roommate loves (LOVES) Kale, so I will have to tell her about this option and perhaps she and I will be drinking smoothies!

Anonymous said...

My sis and I are on day 3 of the spinach smoothie and loving it. I am such a spinach fan and even pulled up other green smoothie recipes to try soon(knowing me, that's big!) here's a site: http://soulfullyraw.com/odetogreen.htm

PS where's a pic of your new haircut?