How am I spending this beautifully sunny holiday weekend? Working of course. I was in the lab all day on Saturday putting the finishing touches on the project you see in the photo. My boss signed on almost a year and half ago to edit a book. That means that I got to edit a book. 31 authors contributed and at times it was like wrangling cats to get them all to keep to the schedule (which they never did since this book is a year over due!). Then it was up to me to do all the technical editing on the 500+ page manuscript. Saturday I finally had all the chapters and contracts in and edited and was ready to paginate and print the whole thing. The publisher is a British company so they required the whole thing be printed on A4 paper which I had to buy special for the project. I am really glad it is done and will be in the mail on Tuesday. Of course it will be back to haunt me as a proof needing to be indexed. I'm not sure how I will get out of that one!As for my Sunday, it was spent putting together my last application for grad school. I had to rework my resume to highlight my public service experience and find a way to rewrite my essays for business school to work in this public service school application. So far so good. I will have my mentors/bosses take a look this week and then it will be done. One essay uses this thing they call a visual explorer. You pick a photo from the 23 available and write about how it represents to your passion for or dream of public service. I chose a row boat. Let me tell you, the Stern essays were much easier because they were so straight forward. No row boats or zippers or tiger's underwater (all options for photos).
Today (Monday) we hit the grocery store to stock up on food for the week, and we are going to walk across the Brooklyn Bridge for fun as it celebrates its 125 birthday. Then I have to come home and make place cards for my next big project due on Friday, our annual Genome Symposium and Dinner. May has been a crazy month for me and I have been working 6 days a week for 5 weeks but all in hopes of making my summer a relaxing and peaceful one. Look for more regular updates starting June 1st when I start my "summer" with a week off from work and plan to do lots of projects around the house!
2 comments:
Wow, I'm impressed. Your next job resume can list editor now!! A new horizon????
Enjoy your week off. Love, Mom
welcome back! I missed your blogs! :) Wow what a crazy schedule...glad you have a vacation coming up and you can take a breather! we should try to get together! :) miss ya!
Post a Comment