Monday, March 12, 2007

13 Years and Counting

Today Greg and I celebrate the 13th anniversary of our first date. This photo isn't from that day but it is pretty close to that time.

I had been flirting with Greg almost daily in Physics class my senior year in high school. In fact when class would end we would both lag behind to "pack our bags" so that we would "accidentally" end up leaving the room at the same time and walk down the hall together to our lockers. My friend Katie and I had even had a planning session at one point to strategize how to get him to ask me out, but nothing was working (I was pretty shy back then). Well, one day Greg claims that he overheard me tell my friend Jen that he was crazy (I wasn't talking about him at all in fact) so he decided he had better ask me out on a date in order to prove he wasn't crazy. So one day after class as we walked to our lockers together he said "So do you want to go out sometime?" I said "sure". Then he just walked away without another word. I was a little confused. So I opened my locker and was getting my books together to go home and all of a sudden I looked up and there was Greg holding a piece of paper with his phone number on it. Sweet!

For our first date I picked Greg up in my mom's Honda Civic Wagon and we went to the bowling alley. It was both of our first dates so we were really nervous. So nervous in fact we hardly spoke and ended up bowling the fastest games of our lives. On the way back out to the car I said, "well that was fun, we should do it again some time" and Greg said "what? That's it?". I can't blame him, I am sure we were there a whole 30 minutes. He told me there was an MC Escher show down at Seattle Center and perhaps we should go see it. I agreed although I hadn't cleared driving my mom's car downtown with her in advance (sorry mom!). We got lost trying to find the center and ended up going to Pike Place Market instead. We wandered around, probably had a crepe and then went home where I dropped him off. I can only vaguely remember the whirlwind of excitement and emotion I felt on that first date and when I recount it here I am reminded how dorky we were in high school!

While our lives aren't all that exciting these days and we are still pretty dorky, it hasn't been boring. These last 13 years have been quite the adventure and I am still enjoying the ride. I love you Greg and I am glad that 13 years ago you finally got up the nerve to ask me out after Physics.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

How sweet! Makes me smile b/c I now know how it all began! :)

Anonymous said...

Awww....what a fun blog to read! Greg and Alexis, wishing you many many more fun and loving years ahead! So blessed to know you guys!

Anonymous said...

I remember that day well myself. You came home from school and said, "I had a good day." "Two goods things happened today." "A boy I like asked me out..." I don't even remember what the other thing was. Your dad and I are so glad that Greg is a part of our family. It is good to entrust our daughter into the care of such an honorable man. Happy Anniversary!