Monday, June 23, 2008

NYC Monuments

Greg’s dad was in town at the beginning of the month for just a day and half on his way from one work meeting in Boston to another one in DC. Unfortunately I came off of my busy work month with a terrible migraine. I ended up sleeping most of the day on the Saturday of his visit because my migraine meds just weren’t working. Greg tried to take him to Shakespeare in the park but the play got rained out. On Sunday I was feeling better so we went down to Battery Park City where Dave was staying at the Embassy Suites and looked around a little. We walked along the river and stumbled onto some interesting things. First was the Irish Hunger Memorial. It commemorates the 1.5 million Irish lost during the famines from 1845-1852 as well as brings awareness to current hunger issues in the world today. It includes a half acre of land elevated above the ground with a path that winds up and around through an authentic famine era cottage as well as wildflowers and plants native to Ireland, and stones carved with the names of all the counties in Ireland. At the top of the memorial you are 25 feet in the air and have a nice view of the river and the statue of liberty in the distance. A nice little park in the middle of the city that I never knew existed.We also found the NYPD memorial next to a small marina (with some not so small yachts parked there!). We couldn't figure out how the names worked on this one. There were names and dates in what seemed like random order. It has a nice tranquil pool next to it. Lastly we stumbled onto this mosaic plaza before turning and walking away from the water. Not a memorial but still an interesting find in the middle of the city. From there we went over to the site of the World Trade Center. It is being rebuilt so it is really just a huge construction area right now.They make it very difficult to see inside so it really wasn’t very moving or anything. I had not been down to the site before this trip. From there we stopped for lunch and then had to take Dave to the station to catch his train. It was nice having him in town for quick visit. I just wish I had been feeling better so I could have enjoy it more.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cool! Maybe we'll discover something fun and interesting on my trip.