The tomatoes were the only thing in the garden that survived this summer. Greg and I picked these over the weekend and turned them into a yummy spaghetti sauce. They were really delicious. We tried to harvest the beets but in our neglect they had become uncovered by the soil and were growing completely on the surface of the ground. Because of that they were really hard and dried out. So much for beets.
So we moved on to carrots. This is what we found. Warning! When you neglect your carrots they grow into each other and meld in to giant mutant carrots. When I cleaned and cut these up one was completely hollow inside and had to be pitched. There are a few more mutant carrots out there but that is about it. Just tons of tomatoes. I plan to make some more sauce and freeze it for the winter. I am sad that not one pumpkin or gourd survived. I love to use them as decorations in the fall. I guess I will have to visit the farmers market this year for my decorations!
Now we are trying to plan a garden clean-up day to get all the beds cleared and mulched for winter. We have new neighbors next door and I am sure they are wondering what is up with the weed patch out back!
1 comments:
...and you started out so well. Oh, well there is always next year!
Post a Comment