Faux Bois seems to be all the rage in home design these days. The term comes from French for "False Wood". We have been playing with faux bois in our living room for a while now with a wood grain etched candle and my awesome
coasters. In addition to that I had always intended to make some pillows for my couch using more of the orange wood grain fabric that my mom and I had found at Purl last time my mom was in NYC (as seen in the coasters). I had picked up some zippers and a couple pillow forms at Pier 1 on a trip to Seattle some time ago but the project just sat, and sat, and sat, and sat.....until this week! I was determined to get those pillows made.

I have never actually sewn in a zipper before. In sewing years past I would always ask my mom to put in zippers and button holes for me because I was too lazy to learn how. Eventually my mom forced me to learn button holes (and even made me take notes on an index card!) but zippers we never did cover. When I bought the zippers in Seattle she gave me a brief description of what I would need to do to get them sewn in. This week I put on my thinking cap and tried to remember that conversation. At one point I had to get out my sewing machine manual to figiure out which foot was the zipper foot and how to move my needle position but eventually I figured it out. I don't think I actually did it quite like you are supposed to but I got it in and that is what counts!

The pillows turned out really cute and couldn't have been easier to make.

Not sure why I waited so long. Another big check off my list of projects I wanted to get done. (The faux bois candle is in the background. Also orange and from West Elm I think though I don't see it on their website)
1 comments:
That will be a great size, too for snuggling and using when you lay your head on Greg's lap. They turned out great!
Post a Comment