Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Happy Birthday To Me!

I celebrated my 34rd birthday last week. It was a very ordinary day for the most part. As Greg reminded me on our way out the door in the morning, "it is no longer about us!". So true. I did have a very nice lunch with the ladies at work and then at home Vivian's gift to me was going to bed really easily. I opened a few lovely gifts after dinner right before enjoying a slice of ice cream cake (my number one birthday request this year!).Thanks Carvel for making such tasty cakes!

For my birthday I made a gift suggestion to Greg and he totally hooked me up with this bad boy. My very own serger or overlock machine. I am super excited about it. I have gotten really into sewing these days, especially baby clothes. I have also wanted to delve more into knits and a serger is really great for that. So this weekend I set it up, learned how to thread it and started experimenting. I watched the enclosed videos as well as some instructional videos online. Then I cut a bunch of fabric swatches to do test stitches on. Then I was ready for an easy project. I decided to make another pair of ruffle pants for Vivian. They came together really quickly. I pretty much used the server for everything except the top stitching and the elastic waste band. I decided to do a rolled hem for the bottom ruffle. The coolest thing was that the server can make ruffles automatically. So much easier than the way I was doing them before. The pants turned out really cute.

5 comments:

Sandy said...

She looks SO CUTE!!!!! When you have time, we want to come visit and play.

Jennie said...

Very cute - I'll need to get a sewing machine soon:)

Kate said...

I wish you lived closer (I always say this) so that you could teach me how to do all the sewing/serging stuff. Everytime I try, it turns out terrible... you are a crafy genius...

Diane Howard said...

I love the new look. So fresh...

Diane Howard said...

I had some trouble with the comment sign-in. The word verification didn't come up on first try. This time was much better.