Thursday, January 25, 2007

For Mom

When Greg's Grandma decided it was time to move into a retirement home her kids all went down to Eugene to help her pack up her house. Grammy Jane (as she is called) had amassed quite a bit of art over the years, much of it inherited from her deceased brothers and sisters. Most of it was sold but some smaller pieces were distributed among the family members. Greg's parents thought we might like this piece (and a couple other smaller ones) and so they brought it home to Seattle for us. Over our thanksgiving trip we finally got to see it in person and Greg crated it up to ship it out to NYC.

We don't know the name or artist. There is some very light pencil on the back that say The Virgin of --- we can't make out the name. It is about 2x3 feet and is currently hanging in our bedroom. We are pretty sure she is a martyr since there are so many weapons in the picture including the dagger pointed at her heart. We intend to have it framed but we have been too busy right now to investigate it. It could probably use a professional cleaning too.

This is for you mom since you asked for a photo so you could see it.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is a cool picture. It's just the thing I would have loved to put in my shrine when I was in Junior High and I worshiped the Virgin Mary everyday. Of course, now I know better who I truly need to worship. Her SON!
I'm sure you are right about the Martyred idea. Wouldn't it be cool to take it to the Antique Roadshow.... Love you!