Friday, January 05, 2007

New favorite tool

My mom sent me this little tool as a gift for Christmas. I shouldn't say it is little because it is actually big and heavy (each square on that mat is 1 inch!). It is called a Crop-o-Dile and it is a silent hole punch and eyelet/snap setter. This thing is a little on the pricey side so I was relunctant to buy it for myself not knowing if it would work. Well my mom asked some scrapbook owners what they thought and they raved about it so it ended up under my tree.
I had the chance to try this baby out and WOW, it is great. First of all you have to remember that to set eyelets and snaps traditionally you use a hammer so it is really loud. If you are like me it seems that you always need to set an eyelet at night. Greg was always yelling at me that it was too late at night to hammer and that the neighbors would complain. Not a problem with this tool. I tried it out on a variety of my eyelets and snaps (below). It set them all silently and easily. Some of these eyelets I never use because they never set right (the metal was so hard they wouldn't set) but this little tool set them like butter!
In the past when I set my snaps they end up with a dimple in the middle. Sort of a side effect of the process. The Crop-o-Dile sets them without damaging them. The larger eyelets (flower and heart) often times would bow or bend when being set with a hammer and again this tool set them flawlessly. If you are scrapbooker who loves eyelets and snaps I would highly recommend this tool. The only draw back is that it is built like a hole punch so it can only reach a couple inchs into a page. You would still need to have an anywhere setter to put a snap in the middle of a page but this will work great for cards, accents, and edge work.
I love it! Thanks mom!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Welcome back kotter! ooh, I meant Alexis :) Missed you and your blog updates! So glad you had a great Christmas and New Year's! Wishing you and Greg all the best for 2007! See you soon! :)

Anonymous said...

I"m gonna have to get that for myself. It looks great. Mom

Diane Howard said...

I printed a current coupon from Lasting Memories and I'm going to buy the tool for 20% off today. I'm going north to return the new couch we bought. I'll fill you in on all the details later. Mom