Monday, February 09, 2009

Handbag Heaven

One of my friend/co-workers invited us to her 31st birthday celebration last Friday. I of course decided at the last minute (the night before) that it would be a good idea to make her a handmade gift. I found a pattern online that inspired me with its cutness and then looked through my fabric stash for something fun. I moved the sewing machine downstairs so I could construct it while watching my Thursday night shows (Kath & Kim, The Office, and 30 Rock). I had to stay up way too late to finish it all the way which made me really tired and frazzled the next day but it turned out really cute and I will definitely be making one for myself when I have a little more time.
It is a fairly large fabric handbag.Note the cute pleat detail which is the same on both sides.It is also fully lined and reversible.This pattern was very easy and made me realize I could probably design my own bag fairly easily. I love having "skills to pay the bills" if you will. The ability to whip something up when I need it and I have my mother to thank for that. She taught me to sew at a young age and was always very crafty and was a good example of looking at something she liked and thinking "I bet I could make that". Love you mom!

4 comments:

Diane Howard said...

I love you, too.

Tiffani P said...

Hey Alexis!! Cute bag! Did you have to buy the pattern or was it online for free? If it was free - can you link it or email it to me? I only have a little girl's purse pattern right now - and though it is adorable, its a little to "cute" for me - and I'd love to make a couple new "spring bags"! Maybe I'll even order some Vera Bradley in a print I'm thinking about making "mine".... so fun!

Love you!! Tiff

peh said...

So glad to see you're back! Totally cute bag. And you definitely have the skills to whip up bags like this any other great stuff!

Alexis Cruikshank said...

Tiff - Yes, I purchased the pattern from Etsy for $8. Not the most well written directions either but still a simple bag to make. If you want the link email me and I will point you in the right direction.