Thursday, March 16, 2006

It's Friday!!

Ok, it is actually Thursday but it is Friday to me. I am traveling to Hershey Pennsylvania tomorrow for a BSF leaders retreat. Yes, it is the home of chocolate. The irony is that I don't eat Hershey's chocolate because they put icky milk solids in it. Oh well. The lodge/convention center we are staying at is very cheesy. Each room is named after chocolate or chocolate products (the chocolate ballroom, confection hall, cocoa suites, the Hershey grill) . The rooms have what looks like striped wall paper until you get really close and see that it is actually Hershey's kisses that make up the stripes. The pillowcases also have kisses printed on them lightly. And when the maid cleans your room she leaves Hershey's miniatures on your pillow. Pretty funny. As you can tell I went to the place for the last retreat.

Anyway, I am looking forward to a break from work, tv, phone, etc., a chance to get to know some of the other BSFers better during the 7 hour bus ride, the "lively" paced BSF hymns (BSFers you know what I am talking about!), and solid bible teaching. Oh and the eating! All we do at this thing is listen, sing and eat yet I am always so exhausted during it.

I am a little nervous about the food. I requested special meat and dairy free meals but you never know how that will be interpreted. I stopped at Whole Foods on my way to work this morning and got some essentials. I picked up the little individual mini soymilk drink boxes (great for adding to oatmeal in the morning, which they will probably have), Lara bars and a couple new brands of snack bars I have never tried that look yummy (heavy in nuts for protein and fat to keep hunger at bay), 3 vegan cookies in case my dessert is fruit which is never dessert to me, and I will take along some peanut butter, maybe some tortillas (if I can get them away from Greg!), and some other snacks we have in the house. That should keep me happy between meals or instead of meals if necessary. I have to pack up my stuff tonight so I will be ready to go in the morning. Look out denim jumpers! Here I come, jumper-less!

The only thing I am NOT looking forward to is being away from Greg. I have missed him so much lately with all his late evenings in the lab. The weekends are when we usually get to hang out and catch up. I asked him what he would do when I was gone and he said he would study for his midterm. I said he would probably order a pizza with cheese and eat all the things I don't bring in the house anymore and his reply was "oh, that is a great idea", his eyes perking up! We are soooo different! The first thing I would have done is have ice cream for dinner if he left town and he just doesn't think about food that way. Hence his skinny little butt!

If you were concerned about our heating situation (and of course you should be!) you can stop worrying. When I got home last night the house was toasty warm (and I woke up twice in the night from being too hot. Just like old times!)

I think this is the first week that I won't meet my scrapbooking goal unfortunately but I am OK with it. I will just plow ahead next week.

Have a great weekend!

2 comments:

Tiffani P said...

Looking forward to hearing your comments about the retreat - do you remember our retreat together? SO much fun - i loved those days, and they were the beginning of not just a great friendship with you and "tall brian" but also spiritual breakthrough for me! I remember fondly the speedy hymns and trying to get through the entire hymnal in 3 days.

Also, I thought you would like to know that we are going to have a girls craft day where we make explosion books!!!!!! :) We bought a cardstock craft pack yesterday at Garden Ridge and though its not as "hip" as I'd like (I like the boldness of the colors you did for Greg's mom and mine back in the day - but the girls picked it it... pastels) I'm excited about doing it with them. I don't have a lot of pics, so I'm thinking of just writing notes in the middle squares. We'll see.
Miss you - love, TR

Tiffani P said...

Looking forward to hearing your comments about the retreat - do you remember our retreat together? SO much fun - i loved those days, and they were the beginning of not just a great friendship with you and "tall brian" but also spiritual breakthrough for me! I remember fondly the speedy hymns and trying to get through the entire hymnal in 3 days.

Also, I thought you would like to know that we are going to have a girls craft day where we make explosion books!!!!!! :) We bought a cardstock craft pack yesterday at Garden Ridge and though its not as "hip" as I'd like (I like the boldness of the colors you did for Greg's mom and mine back in the day - but the girls picked it it... pastels) I'm excited about doing it with them. I don't have a lot of pics, so I'm thinking of just writing notes in the middle squares. We'll see.
Miss you - love, TR