We visited the new apartment last night and took a car load of stuff over. The landlords are still working on the place. They have been painting the entire place pretty shades of pastel colors. Not my favorite but at least they are doing a really nice job. They still have lots of work to do so we told them instead of trying to do it all on June 30th to take their time and work all this week since we aren't moving in officially until the 14th.
We solved a couple mysteries last night. I had imagined a closet across from the kitchen that turned out not to exist and then we found a closet in the half bedroom that we hadn't seen when we originally walked through. It was hidden behind the door when it is open. A fun surprise! That brings the total to 6 closets! Wow, I am so jazzed to have lots of storage. We found out there is cable in most of the rooms. So now we have to choose between DirectTV or standard cable and DSL vs. Cable modem. Any suggestions readers? We haven't had any of them before so we are at a loss. The only thing I don't want is that stupid dish on the side of the house but Greg says they may be able to put it on the back side which would be OK. We also have more kitchen cabinets than I remembered which is great since we don't have that imaginary closet after all that I was going to use as a pantry. We also looked out back and there really is no place for our little table and chairs and BBQ. They use every inch as a parking lot so we will have to dump that stuff on Craig's List or something. There is a small planter in the kitchen window so at least Greg could grow a tomato or something if he wanted. There is also a mystery button in the kitchen. It looks like a doorbell and even the landlord doesn't know what it is for. Kind of weird. We met our downstairs neighbors, a young couple, who seem really nice. I think that is all of the discoveries we made last night.
I managed to snap a few photos but the landlords were there and when I whipped out the camera they started cleaning up all their stuff which I didn't want them to do. I want them to finish up and get out, not stash stuff only to have to get it out again. So I only took a few shots.
We are going to stay in the Bronx tonight to pack and then we will probably take a bunch of loads on the 4th and do some more planning. We want to get as much over by car as possible so that we can get by with a smaller truck and only 2 trips for furniture on the 14th. We'll see how it goes with our tiny little car.
It is so hard not to be in the new place but packing takes time and we don't want to rush unnecessarily. It is an exercise in patience for me.
First is the photo of the front of the house. We are the right side of the duplex (white building) on the 1st and 2nd floors.

The view of the dining room from the living room. I didn't get a shot of the living room for some reason but the 2 rooms are the same size. The living room has 3 windows and the dining room has 0. You can see our little staircase off to the left. We have 2 under the stairs closets. Lots of storage!

Next is the kitchen. Don't mind all the junk, it is for the painting and repairs the owners are doing. I wish the stove was a full sized one. This type is very common in NYC.

Across from the kitchen is the downstairs bathroom. It is really narrow. Just a toilet and sink. If I get too fat I won't fit in this room! Just a pit stop so you don't have to run upstairs all the time to pee.
This is the back bedroom. We plan to use it as an office and scrapbook studio. I am not jazzed with the yellow and the striped wall paper. It has a large closet.
I didn't get a picture of the "master" bedroom. It is on the street side of the house. It has a "step in" closet which is very nice and will hold all our clothes effortlessly. The photo is the view from the master bedroom looking into the half bedroom. We haven't decided how to use it at this point. Guest room, Huge closet, or pinball arcade. So many possibilites. You can see the closet that was hidden behind the door. This room has no windows.
And lastly the upstairs bathroom. It is completely new. Really small but super cute. All upstairs rooms are connected by a long hallway.
That is all for now. I probably won't blog tomorrow so I hope you all have a really nice 4th of July!
4 comments:
OOH, loved the pictures. The exterior is so cute! The interior is so spacious. I LOVE the yellow, striped wallpaper. It's very classic. But I love the shabby chic look. Take more each time you go. We will be at Rachel's for the 4th dinner. She has to work during the day. Talk to you soon. Mom
Hi It's me again. I see lots of air conditioners in the apartments near you. You may have to get an extra one for the downstairs. Love you, and see you soon.
I had Direct TV, and I loved it (despite the little dish) - but with digital cable, sometimes you can get movies on demand (and I think DTV only has pay-per-view). On demand is cool because there is a huge list of movies and you pay about the same as pay-per-view, but you get it right away, you can pause, fast forward, rewind, etc, and you get it for 24 hours - so you can watch it as much as you want whenever you want. Pay-per-view - not as good (though DTV always had cool specials for free no PPV - like Ben Harper at the Hollywood Bowl).
Those are my two cents.
LOVE the new place! Congrats!
My only thought with Direct TV is if the weather affects the reception? Those cable commercials show owners having to go outdoors fix their satellite dish.
Regarding DSL vs. Cable, I think most IT people will tell you to go with cable. But if price is more of a concern and not speed, then DSL is slightly cheaper.
p.s. Love the new place...it looks so spacious and the CLOSETS!...omigosh, the number of closets!
Post a Comment