While Greg was away recently for a trip to Texas with our friend John who has moved to Dallas I decide to try and tackle a big project. At first I wanted to re-do the closet but that would have required a bit of demolition and I didn't think I could do it alone. Plus I still had to work everyday so I really was only going to have a day or two to finish the project. I decided to tackle the office which was still only partly organized. All the major furniture had been purchased but nothing had been done since that time. One area that really needed work was all the paper and files.
We didn't have room for a file cabinet in the old place so we had a system of containers and folders that held important documents. This new office had room for a file cabinet so I needed to put together a new filing system to go with it. I decided to used a filing product that came highly recommended on some of the organizing blogs I read. It is called Freedom Filer and is a self purging system that is supposed to take just a few minutes to sort into and purge from. I had read the directions for the system and had put the folders together to customize it for our needs but I still need to take my mountain of files and incorporate them into the drawer. That is one thing I worked on while Greg was away. It took me almost 4 hours to go through all our old papers (only a few piles shown above) and weed out stuff that could be discarded, re-classify the stuff that should be kept and file it all away. That also included the time it took to shred 3 bags of documents that were being recycled. My shredder got a lot of lovin that day!
And here it is all done. I am loving the new system so far. It is truly very easy to maintain as it takes me under 2 minutes to file a stack of new bills, receipts, and documents. I did a lot more to the office during Greg's absense which I will report on soon.
Monday, October 15, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Look be-you-tee-ful!!
Alexis, your organizational skills never cease to amaze me! :) Good job on the cabinet - it looks fabulous! :)
Post a Comment