Monday, October 08, 2007

Martha Martha Martha

I recently attended a live taping of the Martha Stewart show for her National Sewing Day episode. Thanks to Sandy and Connie for organizing the outing and inviting me! This was my second trip the Martha Show and it was far better than the last time. We were supposed to bring a recent sewing project with us. I recently make a roman shade and didn't want to bring that so I brought my bedside saddle instead. You could actually see a lot of us in the audience shots, especially since my project is a big ugly brown square so it was always easy to spot amongst the other more colorful projects.The show had multiple segments including the following (no photos allowed during the show):
A talk with Tim Gunn from Project Runway and his new design show. It was fun seeing Tim Gunn in person since I am a Project Runway fan. Unfortunately his segment was REALLY short (they all are) and it was kind of lame. He and Martha draped fabric on manikins and discussed the history of the toga. Yep, it was about at boring as that.

Next Martha introduced us to a new amazing sewing machine from Pfaff, the Creative Vision. It was a great machine but it retails for $8,500. WHO IS GOING TO BUY THAT MACHINE? Martha has entered into a relationship with Pfaff so it make sense she would hock their stuff. They were supposed to give the machine away to an audience member but at the last minute decided to raffle it off on the website instead.

We saw a segment about freestyle machine embroidery. It was actually really interesting and I hope to try it myself at home. Again the segment was really short so I am glad they offer directions on the website.
The other segments included interviewing audience members, non-traditional sewing projects, and we saw some of the things Martha is working on (using her personal $8,500 machine from Pfaff of course!).
We had a good time at the show and walked away with sewing gift bags from Pfaff with thread, scissors, machine needles, a needle guide, and some disolvable stabilizer (for the embroidery we saw).
Now that I have so much more dedicated craft space I am looking forward to sewing more and the show got me kind of fired up to do that. You can watch the whole episode here.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I saw you! I saw you! I followed your link and watched the show. I don't have any sound on my computer at school, so I just had to watch -- but I SAW YOU in the audience. What fun!

Alice said...

Connie had lent me the tape of the episode and I watched it - there were so many great shots of you guys! awesome! :) sounds like a fun episode - can't believe I let go of my ticket for some crazy job! I'm going to try for standby tickets this week!