Thursday, April 27, 2006

Look What I Made

In an effort to get some stuff done around the house I decided to multitask last night. While watching Alias last night (Oh great, now Sidney has an evil twin) I pulled out the sewing machine and finally got some mending and sewing projects crossed off my to-do list. I fixed some trousers, sewed some ribbons into my duvet cover so I can tie the corners of the comforter in there and keep it from shifting around on us ( I have wanted to do this for YEARS!), and I made a BED BUDDY. Awhile ago I was looking through a catalogue and came across this:


They call it a Bedside Saddle but I prefer to call it a Bed Buddy. It is basically a pouch that hangs off the side of the bed to hold things like magazines, reading glasses, and remote controls. It is held in place by the mattress. I had to have this thing, it is so perfect for me. Our bedroom isn't wide enough for our bed and 2 night stands (thanks NYC apartment living) and I am not allowed to have the night stand on my side of the bed because I have a tendency to turn off the alarm clock in my sleep and then Greg is late for work (we learned this the hard way.... several times). So this is perfect for my side of the bed. I can keep the things I need handy but out of the way. But the one in the catalogue was $88! For some fabric that hangs off the bed? I can do this!

So when I was at the fabric store last I bought some heavy felt because that is what it looked like in the photo (turns out it's canvas, oh well). And last night I stitched one together.

As you can imagine it was pretty simple to piece together. I did all the parts in double layers of felt to give it strength. And here it is on the bed holding a couple of my things:
Now I have a place to put all the stuff I like to have handy so I can stop bugging Greg to hand me things from the nightstand. I love you bed buddy! And you only cost me about $8!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

How cool! I've been wanting a bed buddy too. Love to see it one day. btw- can you share with me your sewing machine model? I'm considering buying one for my summer projects.

Alexis Cruikshank said...

Sandy

I have a Bernina Matic that I got in Junior High (with babysitting money I think). It is a pretty old model, completely non-electronic contols. Still works like a champ. I believe my mom's machine is also a Bernina and she has had it for over 30 years I believe.

Anonymous said...

Was that a page out of Martha's book or Simple?

Anonymous said...

I LOVE IT! Great job on making the bed buddy! It's so cute! Not to mention the cute "chapstick holder"! :)

Alexis Cruikshank said...

This was from a catalogue which I had never heard of but it sold high end modern home furnishings. I have no idea how we got on their mailing list.