Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Look What I Made

At craft club meeting this month the theme was crochet. Our teacher was the wonderfully patient and enthusiastic Alice! She walked us through the production of a crocheted coaster. And when I say patient I mean it! We spent over 3 hours working on one coaster! None the less, we had a wonderful time and walked away with a completed project.

I immediately started my second coaster on the subway ride home. I got to row 3 and couldn't remember Alice's specific instructions that deviated from the pattern so I was staring at my completed coaster trying to figure it out looking perplexed. Well this really bothered a Ukrainian woman sitting across from me on the train and she INSISTED I give her my completed coaster. Then in broken English she began to argue with me as to what to do next. First we argued about where I was in the coaster. She said crochet 3 stitches I said I think it is only 2. Then when I was doing the half double crochet she insisted I should do a plain double crochet. When I tried to show her the pattern to say that the HDC was what it called for she shook her finger at me and said, "in my country small girls do this [pattern]"! I don't think she was trying to insult me. I explained that I had just learned how to crochet that very day. I thanked her for her help and went on with the project. HA! Only in NYC!

Over the course of jury duty and some time at home I completed a 6 coaster set. Thanks Alice for the wonderful instruction and for putting together absolutely everything we needed and in such a cute kit!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your coaster are TOO COOL!!!
Yes, Alice is wonderfully patient.

Anonymous said...

Oh my, now I've seen it all (this cute picture) and heard it all (the Ukranian subway lady)! this is the cutest coaster set picture ever! AC, GREAT job in completing the coaster set! So proud of ya! And how adorable to take a pic of them with the perfect coffee mug (color coordination galore), and the green crochet hook. so cute! I am glad you got to use your jury duty time/commute to some great stitches on the coasters! You are a fast learner! I hope you like crochet (maybe more than knitting?) isn't it fun? Alexis and Sandy (and any other bsf-ers reading this :), it was my utmost pleasure teaching crochet... you ladies are a joy to teach...you were on time, you listen to instructions, you are so kind and encouraging! what more can a crochet instructor hope for? :)