Sunday, October 05, 2008

October 5

Sunday around here usually means laundry, Wait Wait Don't Tell Me on NPR, cooking a big meal and church in the evening. Today we deviated a bit from that plan so we could see our good friends the Campbells. John was up from Texas where he is working right now while his wife finishes her dissertation here in the city. It is always a treat to see them since they are the closest thing we have to family in New York. We headed over to Astoria (our old hood) to their place and listened to WWDTM in the car (can't deviate too far!). Then we all walked over to a neighborhood restaurant called 718 for brunch. 718 is the area code for Queens, get it? It was so nice to sit and chat with them and catch up. We are all so busy these days that it seems we don't get to see each other nearly enough.

Unfortunately I started to get a migraine at brunch so we had to call it a day at 2pm so I could go home for a nap and to give my meds a chance to work. I love the fall weather but the overcast skies and cloudy days are really hard on my sinus and have been giving me lots of headaches over the last few weeks.

At 4:30 it time to get up and go off to church. I was only feeling a little better but couldn't skip church because the first Sunday of the month is Communion Sunday and we are communion team captains. My head did feel better as the day went on so praise God for that. Here are some photos of us setting up and then cleaning up at the end of the night.




We love our team, they always do a great job serving and make our jobs as captains much easier. Then it was home for homemade pizza using that no-knead dough I made and some phone time with our parents. I want to give a shout out to my mom who just celebrated her 60th birthday and today ran her first marathon! I can't believe it, and she even had the energy to chat with me on the phone after driving back from Portland with my dad. Go Mom!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, I always loved the "wine" (aka grape juice) and was surprised when you once told me it was Welch's. I thought it was a gourmet kind or something. I usually try to get the cup that has the most and drink it to the last drop :)

Alexis' mom: happy birthday and congrats on marathon!

Anonymous said...

I always wondered how they filled those TINY cups with juice/wine.